IMO Gulf Evacuation Operation Paused As Tensions Mount

June 27, 2026

IMO Gulf Evacuation Operation Paused As Tensions Mount

Update: 27th June: The IMO evacuation plans have now been put on pause after the containership Ever Lonely was attacked in the Strait Of Hormuz on Friday, which was followed by a tanker being attached on Saturday morning in the same waterway.

Original Article – 25th June:

Relief In Sight For 11,000 Seafarers Stranded In Gulf Since March

Thousands of seafarers stranded in the Persian Gulf since March are set to be evacuated after the International Maritime Organisation confirmed preparations are complete for a large-scale operation to move vessels and personnel out of the region.

The evacuation follows the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Iran and the United States, which marks the formal conclusion of the conflict that left around 11,000 sailors trapped aboard ships across the Gulf. Many crews have faced months of uncertainty, unable to safely leave their vessels as tensions restricted movement and disrupted maritime operations.

IMO secretary-general Arsenio Dominguez said the operation is being conducted in cooperation with Iran, Oman, the United States, other coastal states and the wider maritime industry.

“We have secured the necessary safety guarantees and have thoroughly verified the conditions for safe navigation to support these operations,” he said.

An IMO spokesperson confirmed that the process of contacting ships to begin the evacuation has already started.

The interim agreement to end the conflict was signed last week, although Washington and Tehran continue to dispute elements of the MoU. Despite those unresolved details, the reopening of the Strait of Hormuz has allowed vessel traffic to resume, offering the first clear route out for many crews.

For seafarers who have spent months isolated in a volatile region, the operation represents a critical step toward repatriation and relief after one of the most prolonged disruptions to Gulf shipping in recent years.

Other News

Suez Return Gathers Pace As Houthi Attacks Intensify

Suez Return Gathers Pace As Houthi Attacks Intensify

Suez Return Gathers Pace As Houthi Attacks Intensify The gradual return of container shipping to the Suez Canal appears to be gathering momentum, with several major carriers increasing their use of the Red Sea route despite recent attacks. MSC reportedly sent seven...

read more
Typhoons Continue to Disrupt Far East Port Operations

Typhoons Continue to Disrupt Far East Port Operations

Typhoons Continue to Disrupt Far East Port Operations There appears to be little let-up in the severe weather affecting shipping and port operations across the Far East this year. Following earlier disruption from storms including Typhoon Maysak and Super Typhoon...

read more
Panama Canal Cuts Daily Transits As El Niño Risks Increase

Panama Canal Cuts Daily Transits As El Niño Risks Increase

Panama Canal Cuts Daily Transits As El Niño Risks Increase The Panama Canal Authority (ACP) has suspended auction processes for transit slots and reduced the number of daily canal crossings from 36 to 34 amid growing concerns over the developing El Niño weather...

read more

Follow us on social media

Ocean Freight Solutions

Flexible FCL and LCL solutions with all major carriers and alliances.

View More

Air Freight Services

Contracts with all major airlines and our own consolidation services.

View More

European Road Freight

Pan European services for economy, express, full load, and intermodal.

View More

Supply Chain Solutions

Tailored solutions built exclusively around your business requirements.

View More

Customs

A one-stop shop brokerage service for all of your customs requirements.

View More